6. Features of the Engine
- Texture Mapped Environment - Unlike in
earlier games, textures are painted on walls, which makes
them more realistic. The Doom Engine's texture mapping is
fast, accurate, and seamless.
- Non-Orthogonal Walls - In Wolfenstein
3D, walls were always at right angles to each other. But
in Doom sectors can be of any shape, and this allows for
a very realistic look.
- Light Diminishing and Light Sourcing -
Doom's lighting is sector-based. Lighting is also
realistic and adds depth because farther areas appear
dimmer than nearer ones.
- Variable Floor and Ceiling Heights
- Environment animation - Parts of the
environment can be animated, for example lights can glow
on and off, etc.
- Multiplayer - Doom can be played over a
network or over a modem.
The gameplay of Doom is frightening and a lot of fun. It's
sheer speed gives immense enjoyment to the player.